Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Tis the Season.

The tree is lit, the house is decorated and the presents are wrapped beneath the tree...well it is all supposed to be done, not here.  As of last night Chad and I still have shopping to do and now every second counts. The lights at work aren't even up, and that means none at the house either. The wrapping table has yet to be put up and all the presents lie in a pile waiting to be decorated. All I can say is..."ahhhhh"!

 I am no expert but I am pretty sure it is safe to say that we are far behind the curve.  While shopping and searching for the perfect gift, it occurred to me that stress and anxiety are at the fore front of most shoppers.  After all we set high hopes on ourselves and what others might think of our “oh so thought out gift”...or in some case the “not so well thought out”.

On the way home from shopping, till all hours of the night, it was a sight to be seen (no wonder Santa Claus likes to travel on Christmas Eve). The lights twinkled in the distant and in the pitch black of night the lit up homes on the mountain side look like hovering UFO's.  While the lights are mesmerizing, it is all too obvious that time is ticking away until the big day.

 And that’s when it hit me and I had to sit back and take a deep breath, remembering that the gifts aren't the reason for the season. 

Now, I am not going to tell you what the meaning is or even attempt to pretend that I know what the season means to you. But I am going to tell you that little less means more to me than family.  Just the small amount of time that we get to spend with each other means these days will be filled with dinners, games and of course the marathon that is our Christmas Day. Not to mention the day after Christmas Shopping Extravaganza.

I am lucky to have a close family and that we get to have everyone, well most everyone, home for Christmas. They come from all over California, Illinois, Idaho, Washington and Montana. But what is even more amazing is that both sides of the family gather around the same table for the feast. 

Sure we all have our differences, but those get set aside whenever we are together to celebrate just that…being together.  I often take this for granted because it comes naturally and it has been this way ever since I can remember.  So when the stories of lonely holidays and family dramas are being told by friends or acquaintances, it makes me realize exactly how fortunate I actually am.

On Christmas night I usually reflect on the last day and a half of running around and think, “Next year we are going to Hawaii”.  In theory it sounds great but the truth of the matter is, I couldn’t imagine missing the amazing time, memories and joy that Christmas brings from spending those days with my family.

I hope that this will find you in good health, joyous celebration and most of all having a wonderful Christmas, or whatever holiday you might be celebrating.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment