Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Tony's

Okay...so I know that it has been two weeks since The Tony Awards aired on CBS but I have to say that these were the best Tony's I have seen for a long time. From Opening to End Neil Patrick Harris (NPH) was amazing and when he and Hugh Jackman dueled it out...how else can I put it but EPIC!.

So let's "start at the very beginning, a very good place to start".  All I have to say is that I think I watch the opening number daily because it brings a smile to my face, even with Brooke Shields major flub up (almost makes it better).



Book of Mormon was the big winner of the night with 9 Awards (out of 14 nominations) and the performance by Andrew Rannells was outstanding.  Best line in the song "I Believe that in 1978 good changed his mind about black people" or another great contender "I Believer that involves me getting my own planet".

Harry Potter? No Tony Nomination?  What?  Yeah, if you saw his performance on the Tony's I am sure you were asking that same question.  He did deserve a nod.  Here's my theory on why he didn't...even though I have only seen his Tony performance.  Last year the Tony's went to Hollywood, and although these actors deserved their awards (on most occasions), the New York actors and theatre actors viewed this a publicity stunt and kind of a slap in the face.  With production cost going through the roof you can't blame producers and directors for going after the names to get people in the theatre but I tend to agree with the NY actors. 


Nikki M. James took home the trophy for her performance as a featured Actress in a Musical for The Book of Mormon and I loved how surprised she was to win.  She was up against 3 Tony winning actresses including Patti LuPone, Laura Benanti and Victoria Clark.


In one category that BofM didn't take, Broadway Vet Norbert Leo Butz took...Best Actor in a Musical.  I have heard so-so reviews about Catch Me If You Can and I have to say I was a little bit surprised that he took home this award.  But I do have to say that this journey for him has been a though one.  When previewing Catch Me If You Can in Seattle his sister was brutally murdered, he even acknowledged her in his acceptance speech.


Best Revival of a Musical went to Anything Goes. As well did Best Choreography and Best Actress (get to her in a bit).  At the Tony party  I was at we had to re-watch this amazing number. Makes me want to put on my tapping shoes and...well TAP.


This brings me to the one, the only, SUTTON FOSTER!  What can I say if there were such a thing as a quadruple threat she would be it.  She looked fabulous, preformed flawlessly and she seems so down to earth.  You can tell she loves her job and it shows. Five Nominations and two wins, we can expect many more great things from the Princess of Broadway.

1 comment:

  1. I whole heartedly agree Tim! The tonys rocked this year! And you are totally right about the Hollywood backlash...Dan Rad was robbed. For the most part though...I was extremely happy with most of the winners...particularly Mark Rylance :) and Nikki...NO ONE expected Nikki to win...it was such a long shot...when they said her name I has a SERIOUS omg moment...Great night!!! Fun recap! This is Brooke btw lol

    ReplyDelete